How to Apply
New for 2012-2013 Applicants
MGH Department of medicine will have two deadlines. Our first deadline will be October 1st, 2012 at noon EST and our second deadline will be October 15th, 2012 at noon EST. All applications received prior to October 1st will be screened first and applications received after noon on October 1st through October 15th will be screened on October 15th. Applicants will receive notification regarding interviews via email through ERAS in mid to late October.
Applications are processed through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). U.S. medical students should contact their Dean's Office for access to the ERAS system. You must go through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) to apply to our program.
Step 2 Test Results
Step 2 test results must be submitted no later than March 15, 2013.
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation are an important part of your application. As part of the ERAS application, we require:
- Letter from your medical school Dean (the Dean's letter)
- Letter from the Department of Medicine chair or clerkship director
- 2 additional letters from individuals who can assess your skills and abilities (typically faculty members with whom you have worked in clinical or research settings)
While will will accept additional letters of recommendation, a maximum of four letters can be transmitted through ERAS. If you would like to send additional letters, do so using the contact information on the right of the page.
International Medical Graduates
International medical graduates (IMGs) must apply for residency through ERAS by contacting the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) IMGs should also consult our webpage for IMGs before applying.
Selection for interview is based on a number of factors, including academic and clinical performance, particularly in medicine rotations.
All PGY-1 positions for the 2012-2013 academic year for this program are selected through The National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). We do NOT offer pre-match positions.
The Internal Medicine NRMP numbers for Match participation are:
- NRMP #1261140C0 | Categorical Track (3 year traditional, ABIM Research Pathway)
- NRMP #1261140P0 | Preliminary Track (1 year in duration)
- NRMP #1261140M0 | Primary Care Track (3 years in duration)
- NRMP #1261140P1 | Neuro-Preliminary Track (1 year in duration)
- NRMP #1261140M1 | Global Primary Care Track
To apply to the Harvard MGH Med/Peds Program, consult the Harvard MGH Med-Peds Website.