My laboratory has an NIH-funded program of International Collaborations in Infectious Disease Research, in collaboration with the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research in Dhaka, Bangladesh, to analyze human mucosal immune responses following natural V. cholerae infection, to analyze gene expression in V. cholerae directly in human samples, to use human immune responses following cholera to identify bacterial genes uniquely expressed during human infection, and to use this information to develop an improved cholera vaccine.
Selected recent references:
- Harris JB, LaRocque R, Qadri F, Ryan ET, Calderwood SB. Cholera. Lancet 2012; 379: 2466-2476.
- Karlsson EK, Harris JB, Tabrizi S, Rahman A, Shylakhter I, Patterson N, O’Dushlaine C, Schaffner SF, Gupta S, Chowdhury F, Sheikh A, Shin OS, Ellis C, Becker C, Stuart LM, Calderwood SB, Ryan ET, Qadri F*, Sabeti PC*, LaRocque RC*. Natural selection in a Bangladeshi population from the cholera-endemic Ganges River delta. Sci Transl Med 2013; 5: 192ra86.
- Alam MM*, Arifuzzaman M*, Ahmad SM, Hosen MI, Rahman MA, Rashu R, Sheikh A, Ryan ET**, Calderwood SB**, Qadri F**. Study of avidity of antigen-specific antibody as a means of understanding development of long-term immunological memory after Vibrio cholerae O1 infection. Clin Vaccine Immunol 2013; 20: 17-23.
- Seed KD, Lazinski DW, Calderwood SB, Camili A. A bacteriophage encodes its own CRISPR/Cas adaptive response to evade host innate immunity. Nature 2013; 494: 489-491.
- Leung DT*, Uddin T*, Xu P*, Aktar A, Johnson RA, Rahman MA, Alam MM, Bufano MK, Eckhoff G, Wu-Freeman Y, Yu Y, Sultana T, Khanam F, Saha A, Chowdhury F, Khan AI, Charles RC, LaRocque RC, Harris JB, Calderwood SB, Kovac P**, Qadri F**, Ryan ET**. Immune responses to the O-specific polysaccharide antigen in children who received a killed oral cholera vaccine compared to responses following natural cholera infection in Bangladesh. Clin Vaccine Immunol 2013; 20: 780-788.