The Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Viral Hepatitis is a joint Infectious Disease/Gastrointestinal Unit effort created to provide expertise and care to patients living with chronic viral hepatitis, including hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV).
The MGH Center for Viral Hepatitis in the Infectious Disease Division offers the following services:
- Consultation and ongoing care for evaluation and management of chronic viral hepatitis with HBV or HCV
- Consultation and ongoing care for individuals with coinfections, including those with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Immunizations against hepatitis A virus (HAV) and hepatitis B virus (HBV), as well as other appropriate vaccinations
- Access to multiple clinical trials in conjunction with the Gastrointestinal Unit and/or the AIDS Clinical Trial Unit
- Access to the transplantation service at MGH, including a recently expanded program for individuals living with HIV.
Full phlebotomy, diagnostic laboratory, and radiographic facilities are available on site, including microbiological and histopathological evaluations. We provide counseling and testing for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. Translators for common languages and most other languages are available with advance notice. An outpatient pharmacy is available in the hospital.
Cox Building , 5th Floor, Massachusetts General
Phone and Hours:
For directions, appointments and practice information, please call (617) 726-7495. Please indicate if a medical interpreter will be needed.
Please mail or fax all medical records for review prior to the scheduled appointment to fax (617) 726-7653.
Please also obtain a copy of relevant X-rays or CT scans to bring to the appointment (mail address: Cox Building, 5th floor, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114; fax # is (617) 726-7653). If you are unsure of what to bring, please ask the practice staff in advance.
All insurance carriers are welcome; however,
many insurance carriers require prior authorization
and referral from a primary care provider. Self-pay
is welcome. Free care is available for individuals
who require financial assistance; such care may
be obtained through the MGH Department of Social
The practice is staffed by a team of individuals trained in Infectious Disease with experience and expertise in the diagnosis, evaluation and management of viral hepatitis.
Arthur Kim MD
Rajesh Gandhi MD
Gregory Robbins MD
Richard Ahern NP
Centers for Disease Control
MA Department of Public Health:
American Liver Foundation: