The Massachusetts General Hospital Perinatal Infectious Disease Program is an Infectious Disease program dedicated to providing high-quality, multidisciplinary care to patients who are planning pregnancy, currently pregnant, or have recently delivered a baby, and who are living with a variety of infectious disease conditions, including HIV, hepatitis, other bacterial, viral, and fungal infections, tuberculosis and positive TB skin tests, or recent exposures to these infections.
We work closely with other specialists at MGH who care for women around the time of pregnancy, including obstetrician/gynecologists and maternal-fetal medicine specialists. We have a dedicated team of nurses, social workers, and administrative staff who work to ensure a smooth referral process from the Obstetrics service to the Perinatal Infectious Disease Program. Our program includes MassGeneral Hospital for Children pediatric infectious disease specialists for the diagnosis and treatment of newborns with maternally transmitted infections and the coordination of care with community pediatricians.
Full phlebotomy, diagnostic laboratory, and radiographic facilities are available on site, including microbiological and histopathological evaluations. We provide counseling and testing for HIV infection. Translators for most languages are available with advance notice. An outpatient pharmacy is available in the hospital.
Referrals to the MGH Perinatal Infectious Disease Program:
- All referrals are reviewed in detail and should be made by a physician, and should include appropriate records for review.
- Physicians may make referrals by calling 617-726-7495.
- Medical records should be sent to our office prior to the scheduled appointment via fax (617-726-7653). A copy of all laboratory results, radiology results, and relevant clinical notes must be sent in advance of the appointment.
- Please indicate if a medical interpreter will be needed for the appointment.
Location, Phone & Hours:
- We are located on the 5th floor of the Cox Building at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Our phone number is 617-726-7495.
- For directions, questions regarding referrals and appointments and practice information, please call the number above.
Most insurance carriers are welcome; some plans require a referral for specialty care from the Primary Care Provider. If individuals need financial assistance, MGH Patient Financial Services (617-726-2191) will assist with applications to Mass Health and Health Safety Net (Free Care).
The practice is staffed by a team of healthcare providers trained in Infectious Disease with experience and expertise in the evaluation and management of infections before, during, and after pregnancy:
- Katie Barron, NP
- Andrea Ciaranello, MD, MPH (Infectious Disease)
- Jason Harris, MD (Pediatrics)
- Arthur Kim, MD (Hepatitis)
- Jennifer Kubic, LICSW
- Nan Midgley, RN
- Mark Pasternack, MD (Pediatrics)
- Laura Riley, MD (Maternal-fetal Medicine)
- Blair Wylie, MD (Maternal-fetal Medicine)
- Tammy Thurman-Brown, Administrative Assistant
- Tory Williams, Referral Coordinator