MGPA - Mass General Postdoc Association
The Mass General Postdoc Association (MGPA) was formed by a number of dynamic and passionate postdocs who came together to form an association that would help make life better right here in the MGH community. The process was greatly facilitated through the practical support of the Office for Research Career Development (ORCD). The association serves the workplace community for research and career related matters, and also provides a platform for interaction of all postdoctoral research fellows.
The mission of the MGPA is to promote important aims relevant for all postdocs, belonging to the following areas:
- Organization of a postdoc research seminar series
- Invitation to faculty and fellows to participate in research presentations
- Identification of valuable educational means
Communication and networking
- Organization of a postdoc career development seminar series
- Information about existing job market databases
Quality of life and postdoc advocacy
- Dissemination of postdoc-relevant information
- Development of an MGH postdoc alumni network
- Event offers for networking and mentoring between faculty and postdocs
- Liaison to MGH administration regarding general postdoc issues
- Report to a postdoc advisory committee
- Participation in local and national postdoc-related organizations, such as the Office for Research Career Development (ORCD) and the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA).
MGPA Executive Board
Leonora Balaj, PhD, Co-Chair
Ferdinando Pucci, PhD, Co-Chair
Rohith Reddy, PhD, Vice-Chair
Margit Szabari, MD, former Co-Chair
Ann Skoczenski, PhD, Ex Officio and ORCD Advisor
Biotech Subcommittee led by Elaina Chan
Clinical Fellows subcommittee led by Rami Kantar
Social event subcommittee led by Carla DAvanzo
Alternative careers subcommittee led by Ferdinando Pucci
Pawel Mroz (Dermatology) Membership at MGH Main Campus
Tiago F. Outeiro (Neurology) Research
Hideo Sakamoto (Reproductive Biology) Alumni Network
Keri Siggers (Medicine) Career Development
Olga Syrkina (Medicine) Quality of Life and Postdoc Advocacy
Emi Takahashi (Psychiatry) Social Activities
Julie E. Tetzlaff (Neurology) Membership at MGH Charlestown
Navy Yard Campus
Sarika Verma (Dermatology) Co-Chair; Membership, Coordination
Danqing Xiao (Neurology) Social Activities
Elena Zalyapin (Medicine) Co-Chair; Newsletter, Membership at
MGPA Bi-Annual Travel Awards
These awards (up to $1,000 each) are designed to make it possible for MGH postdocs to participate in a scientific conference that they may otherwise not be able to attend, and to encourage active participation in the MGPA.
1. You must be an MGH Research Fellow (PhD or MD degree, or equivalent)
at the time of the conference, with an active interest in helping the MGPA to plan events for fellow postdocs.
2. The conference for which the award is being applied should be within 6 months after the award winner announcement date. The award will be given only for travel to the specific conference chosen by the applicant and listed in the submitted application materials, and may not be used for travel that occurred prior to the award date.
3. Each applicant should have demonstrated active participation in the MGPA
and its programs, including participation in monthly Planning Committee meeting(s), sharing ideas about programs and initiatives, or assisting with a program or event.
4. Each travel award recipient will be responsible for organizing an MGPA event
of his/her choice (as described in the application) with the help of the MGPA board, within six months of the award announcement and before travel
reimbursement is given.
Fall 2014 Applications are now being accepted
Application deadline is Tuesday, November 11, 2014.
Please click here for the application and instructions.
and let the MGPA know your thoughts regarding seminars that the MGPA and ORCD should offer.
back to top ^