Consider your preliminary study design: Conduct literature review
- Generating measures of exposure and outcome is facilitated by a review of the pertinent literature.
- What has been studied on this topic before?
- How have other researchers defined/measured the exposure and/or outcome?
- The effort to generate meaningful measures will generally require a return to the hypothesis for refinement, and narrowing (i.e., express the hypothesis in terms of the specific exposure of interest, and the specific outcome anticipated).
▪ Quosa and RefWorks trainings offered by the Treadwell Library
▪ Understanding and Writing Clinical Research Literature