Manage study funds
- It is vitally important that study funds are managed properly from the onset of any clinical research study. Once funds are in the red it is very challenging to get out of this situation, so it is critical that you do anything that you can do to ensure proper management of your funds from the get-go.
- The Principal Investigator is responsible for the management of study funds but, with proper training and oversight, may delegate these responsibilities to members of his/her study team. This person is called a Study Coordinator Financial Delegate (SCFD). This study staff role must be designated in Insight eIRB.
- It is essential that you associate each participant visit with a study in Epic. Linking the visit to the study is key to ensuring that the charges go to a queue for the study team to review. The Epic Study code will be the IRB protocol number concatenated with fund number – an 18 digit code (2013P123456-123456). The study code will need to be written on all research requisitions being sent to ancillaries to perform tests/procedures.
- SCFDs review all charges before charges are directed to funds or insurance and approve/correct charges within seven (7) days. This process is done through a Research Billing Review Report accessible in Epic.
- SCFDs are the initial contact person for the MGPO and MGH Revenue when research charges are not being reviewed within seven (7) days. If needed, issues are then escalated to the PI.
- The person charged with these duties should monitor your funds and create a report with projected balances on at least a monthly basis. Strive to resolve any issues immediately to keep your funds out of the red and to ensure that any payments you are owed are received quickly.
- The Insight Research Portal is a web-based application that was developed to review, monitor and manage research portfolios. Comprised of ten different modules, Insight's functions cover the broad function of research administration from award management to effort reporting, IRB submissions and standard reporting.
- Charge correction requests for both hospital and professional patient care charges may be submitted online through Insight.
- Access to Patient Care Details in the Agreements module in Insight is required. From Patient Care Details you can select the charges that are incorrect or need to be transferred to a different fund or to insurance /self pay. You can also inquire about expected charges not posted to the fund.
- If needed, you may provide Cost Transfer justifications for fund to fund transfers greater than 90 days using this process.
- You will be able to check on the status of your correction request in Insight.
- Corrections to patient care charges can be submitted by anyone with access to the fund in Insight - PI, Study Coordinator, or Department/Grant Administrator.
- If you do not have access to the Agreements Module in Insight or to Patient Care Details, contact your supervisor /PI for approval and then the Insight Help Desk to request access at the fund level (InsightHelpDesk@partners.org).
- Detailed instructions about charge correction requests are available on the Insight home page under Insight Documentation > Patient Care Correction Module: https://insight.partners.org
▪ Document Direct
▪ Epic Research Resource Page
▪ MGH Clinical Research Program Study Milestone Tracker
▪ MGH Research Compliance Clinical Trials Billing Toolkit
▪ Partners Clinical Research Office
▪ Partners Research Finance
▪ Partners Research Management
▪ Budget Builder Workshop, 1:00pm – 2:30pm
▪ Budget Builder Workshop, 3:00pm – 4:30pm
▪ Clinical Trials Billing Series: Charge Capture and Billing Procedures, Clinical Trials with Investigational Devices or Approved Devices with PMA/510K Numbers, Monitoring, Invoicing and Corrections
▪ Budgeting, Invoicing and Tracking Expenses for Industry Sponsored Clinical Research Studies
▪ Budgeting for Industry Sponsored Clinical Trials