We encourage patients to get the shingles vaccine, however, Bulfinch Medical Group has had to make the difficult decision to discontinue offering them here in the office. This decision was made due to budgetary constraints and the unique storage and handling requirements of the vaccine. We recommend you obtain the Zostavax/Shingles vaccine at your local pharmacy. To locate a pharmacy near you that offers the vaccine go to www.zostavax.com. Please call the pharmacy beforehand to find out if they have any specific requirements. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Your Bulfinch Medical Group Care Team
ABOUT SHINGLES VACCINE
- Shingles is a painful skin rash, often with blisters. It is also called Herpes Zoster or Zoster.
- The shingles vaccine is recommended for adults 60 years of age or older to prevent shingles.
- You should not get the shingles vaccine if you are allergic to any of its ingredients, including gelatin or neomycin, have a weakened immune system, take high doses of steroids, or are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Possible side effects include redness, soreness, swelling, or itching at the injection site, as well as headache.
- According to the CDC, it is safe to be around infants and young children, pregnant women, or people with weakened immune systems after you get the shingles vaccine. There is no documentation of a person getting chickenpox from someone who has received the shingles vaccine.
Click here for more information about the shingles vaccine.
Click here to locate a pharmacy that offers the shingles vaccine.
back to Homepage