Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) is the #1 cause of death in adults in the United States. Reducing risk factors for heart disease at the earliest stage possible decreases the chance for heart attack and stroke in the future. In an effort to address the problem of CVD in our patient population, the Bulfinch Medical Group launched the Cardiovascular Wellness Program in November 2008.
The Cardiovascular Wellness Program offers comprehensive risk reduction for healthy adults who want to be proactive in preventing heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, diabetes and stroke. It follows a proven model using a combination of medical management, education, group classes, and counseling. Our program team works in close partnership with the primary care physicians to create individualized prevention plans tailored to meet each patient’s needs.
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES…
- An intake visit with a nurse practitioner featuring a comprehensive assessment of patient risk factors (including smoking, high blood pressure, overweight, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, inactivity) and development of an action plan to achieve patient-selected goals.
- A free pedometer to support patient exercise goals.
- An innovative “a la carte” care menu including referrals to support services for nutrition, weight loss, monitored exercise, smoking cessation, stress reduction, and group classes.
- Specialized labs and diagnostic testing, as needed.
- Intensive follow-up support and counseling from a dedicated team of health professionals who are committed to working with each patient and his or her doctor to identify and achieve unique health and wellness goals and make positive and lasting lifestyle changes.
This program, along with other special programs and services, is made possible by the generous donors who support the Patient-Doctor Partnership Fund.