Rebecca Minehart, MD
Instructor, Harvard Medical School
I help to maintain and follow-up with the database of high-risk obstetric patients who present with unique anesthetic management concerns. In addition, I am currently involved in a number of research projects which seek to better guide anesthetic management of obstetric patients with significant coexisting diseases (two such areas of interest are intracranial lesions and maternal congenital heart disease). Some of my research also involves work done at the Center for Medical Simulation (Cambridge, Mass.), where we are specifically studying quality of communication among members of a high-functioning medical team during a simulated obstetric crisis, to see whether certain language patterns affect outcomes.
I have a strong interest in clinical teaching and enhancing resident education as well. I compiled an obstetric anesthesia guidelines pocket card (with the help of many excellent staff here) for residents to use, and I am actively engaged in promoting formalized, structured teaching on the Obstetric Anesthesia rotation.
- University of Michigan Medical School, MD (1998-2002)
- University of Michigan Health System, Intern in Surgery, Resident in Anesthesiology (2002-2006)
- Brigham and Women?s Hospital, Fellowship in Obstetric Anesthesia (2006-2007)
- Clinkscales CP, Dunkailo RL, Wilkins KK, Greenfield MV, Polley LS. Subarachnoid Hemorrhage in a Previously Healthy Preterm Parturient. Anesthesiology 2006;104 Supp 1:51.
- Dunkailo RL, Clinkscales CP, Wilkins KK, Greenfield MV, Healy DW. Excision of a Large Pheochromocytoma with Fetal Preservation in a Parturient. Anesthesiology 2006;104 Supp1:52.
- Minehart RD, Podraza MA, Raemer DB, Simon R, Walzer TB, Pian-Smith MCM. Teaching Residents to Question and Challenge Their Teachers: A Simulator-Based Approach to Improve Education and Promote Patient Safety. Anesthesiology 2007;106 Supp1:33.
- Minehart RD, Podraza MA, Raemer DB, Gardner R, Walzer TB, Simon R, Pian-Smith MCM. Explicit Communication During Obstetric Emergencies: Room for Improvement? Anesthesiology 2007;106 Supp 1:17.
- Minehart RD, Camann WR. Maternal Infection and Fever. Book Chapter, in A Practical Approach to Obstetric Anesthesia, eds. Bucklin B, Gambling D, Wlody D. Wolters-Kluwer publishing. In press.
- Kumar A, Guimaraes ES, Pian-Smith MCM, Minehart RD. Cerebral Venous Thrombosis, Vertebral Artery Dissection, Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, and Infarction in a Postpartum Patient Presenting With Headache. Anesthesia and Analgesia. In press.
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114