Anesthesia Critical Care Fellowship Electives
- Medical intensive care unit: Gain additional critical care experience in management of respiratory failure, pneumonia, and ARDS, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, DVT and PE, poisonings and intoxications. Gain additional experience in infectious disease issues in critical care.
- Coronary care unit: Gain additional critical care experience in diagnosis and therapies of arrhythmias; pacing and pacers; hemodynamic monitoring; analysis of hemodynamic data; myocardial dysfunction; myocardial ischemia; valvular diseases; pericardial tamponade; pericarditis; pulmonary hypertension and RV failure; use of vasopressors; etiology, pathophysiology, and treatment of shock.
- Neuroscience intensive care: Gain additional critical care experience in the treatment of acute head injury; measurement and management of cerebral blood flow and intracranial pressure; subarachnoid hemorrhage; acute stroke; acute spinal syndromes; myasthenia gravis and other neurologic diseases.
- Pediatric intensive care medicine: Gain additional critical care experience in the understanding of pediatric medicine, age-appropriate medical care, and acute medicine and surgical diseases of infants and children.
- Nephrology: Gain additional critical care experience in the understanding of renal physiology and dysfunction; renal failure - chronic and acute; peritoneal dialysis; intermittent and continuous hemodialysis and ultrafiltration.
- Blood bank/laboratory medicine: Gain additional experience in the diagnosis of thrombocytopenia, DIC, coagulopathies, and hypercoagulable states. Gain additional understanding of blood-banking techniques, blood typing, cross-matching, and special testing.
- Infectious disease: Gain additional experience in the diagnosis and management of infectious diseases, especially in the immunosuppressed patient. Gain additional understanding of culture and isolation techniques and interpretation; nosocomial infections; antibiotic resistance, dosing, and drug interactions.
- Pulmonary mechanics, mechanical ventilation, and respiratory care: Gain additional experience in pulmonary function testing; bedside assessment of pulmonary mechanics; metabolic assessments; techniques of invasive and noninvasive mechanical ventilation; management of chronic ventilator dependence.
- Hyperbaric medicine: Gain experience in the indications, contraindications, and techniques for hyperbaric oxygen therapy, and management of patients in the hyperbaric chamber.
- Pulmonary and transplant medicine: Gain additional critical care experience in the assessment and management of severe pulmonary diseases; perioperative management of patients undergoing lung transplantation; and immunosuppressed states.
- Clinical cardiology: Gain additional experience in diagnosis and management of dysrhythmias; myocardial ischemia and acute coronary syndromes; congestive heart failure; valvular diseases; pericardial diseases; perioperative management of the patient with cardiac disease.
- Echocardiography: Gain experience with performance and interpretation of transthoracic and transesophageal cardiac.
Department of Anesthesia,
Critical Care and Pain Medicine
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Public Transportation Access: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes