Current and Previous Projects
Physicians and staff from the Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine are involved in the following global outreach efforts:
- Dr. Gennadiy Fuzaylov is currently working with public officials in the Ukraine to formalize a program whereby physicians from Shriners Hospital would visit the Ukraine to teach, and Ukrainian physicians would have the opportunity to come to Shriners to learn. Through this collaborative effort, he hopes to enhance Ukrainian physicians' ability to take care of patients in their communities while continuing to bring the most critically ill patients to Shriners for care.
- Dr. Lena Dohlman will travel to Mthatha, South Africa in February 2011 to teach anesthesia with resident Olof Viktorsdottir, who received the SEA HVO Traveling Fellowship in 2010.
- Dr. Pacifico Tuason will travel to Leyte, Philippines in November 2010 as part of his work with Medical Missions for Children.
- In 2010, Dr. Paul Firth, Dr. Neelakantan Sunder, Dr. Akshay Dalal, ICU fellow John Benjamin, and technician Tom Monaghan traveled to Haiti to assist with earthquake relief efforts. They worked on more than 140 cases, including patients with multiple traumatic injuries such as compound fractures, open wounds, compartment syndrome, quadriplegia and paraplegia. They established a triage system to save life and limbs and to manage closed fractures, and performed more than 140 anesthetic procedures in the operating room. The project was co-sponsored by Partners in Health and Project HOPE.
- In 2005, Dr. Neelakantan Sunder, Dr. Akshay Dalal, and Dr. Michael Fitzsimons worked with Project HOPE to assist tsunami survivors in Indonesia aboard the USNS Mercy.
Photo courtesy of Dr. Paul Firth
Department of Anesthesia,
Critical Care and Pain Medicine
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Public Transportation Access: Yes
Disabled Access: Yes