- Ranked #1 of departments of psychiatry for twelve years in a row in the U.S. News & World Report survey, "America's Best Hospitals".
- Defining standards and state-of-the-art practice of psychiatry through innovation in care and pioneering scientific and clinical research.
- Providing over 140,000 outpatient visits each year in Boston and nearby communities, 5,100 emergency room consultations, and 8,400 days of inpatient care, including services for the most underserved and seriously mentally ill patients.
- Providing consultation for 6,700 medical / surgical patients admitted to the MGH for a preexisting psychiatric illness or for conditions triggered by advanced medical care. (This is three times the national average for a general hospital.)
- Exploring the brain science, genetics and biology of psychiatric disorders.
- Seeking to identify risks factors to prevent illness from developing, and illness markers to improve treatment results.
Training and Education
- Appointing over 600 MD and PhD level staff to clinical and faculty positions.
- Including 17 faculty members who have achieved full professor rank at Harvard Medical School, the highest number in any department at the MGH.